Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Gilmore Girls: Episode Two

So, it's Gilmore night again, and I must say that tonight was better than last week. The banter was better, much better actually, but there still seems to be something missing. And what was up with the repeated references to Gwenyth Paltrow?

First, new stuff that popped up on the show. Lane is pregnant! Crazy, especially since that's how her mom had her (getting pregnant after having sex on her wedding night). I think it will make a really good story line with Lane really growing up. She will be a great mom! The big question, though, is what will happen to Hep Alien?

Then, Kirk's makeshift diner. So, usually Kirk just makes me go "what the heck?" but tonight he actually made me angry. What is he thinking setting up a diner in front of Luke's? And, he was downright rude to Luke, which was uncalled for. Will he actually sue Luke--he really must be crazy!

Another uncalled for item: Luke hunting down and punching Christopher. What in the world makes him think that's OK? Now I understand that he's upset and I'm not justifying Loreli's choice to sleep with Christopher, but she did break off the engagement. He no longer has the right to be upset about what she does with her life. End of story. And really, I understand he's upset, but he was really the first one to make the move away from getting married when he put April out of their lives, and put her in front of Loreli. Then, was Loreli basically just makes it final, gives him the choice, he stumbles. Her decision then is that she's had enough--and I really don't blame her. It doesn't matter if we think he should get a second chance, she made that decision, and I think people need to respect that. Instead, Luke turns around and acts like a two year old because he's too insecure to admit he's hurting over the break-up. That's really making me not like him much right now. At the end of the show he begins to redeem himself, but I think he's right. They just weren't right for each other, even though it did seem like it when they first started dating. Other parts of their lives got in the way.

My prediction? Loreli and Christopher will begin a relationship after he tells her that he's really serious about her and loves her. Part of the reason I think they haven't gotten together before now is because they have needed to grow up, and go through some things to bring them to where they are now. One reason that I think Loreli was so excited about Luke was that he was so far removed from her parents and their way of life. She has lived her life so determined to not be like them, that it has influenced a lot of her life decisions. Now I think she's kind of afraid of being with Christopher because he is kind of a part of that life, though he's not at all like her parents. She needs to come to accept that she doesn't have to be a polar opposite of her parents' way of life to establish herself as an individual. This whole idea has begun to be explored by the Logan/Rory storyline, that entering into that world of wealth does not necessarily mean that you have to become a superficial stuck-up snob. Not that Logan didn't have his own childish spoiled rich kid ways, but I think he's beginning to grow up as well. Also, I know that Rory is upset about him purchasing a ticket for her to visit at Christmas, but after thinking about it, that means that he's committed to remaining faithful to her for the long haul. And, maybe he'll pop the question in Europe? Hey, maybe the show will end with a double wedding? :)

Thoughts?

7 comments:

Bugsy said...

Not sure how I feel yet, but I am a dedicated viewer. I felt the Rory and Lane rant was a little strained after they started going off on baby names, but I felt the end was good with Luke saying "Lets go back to you being Loreli and I'll go back to being the guy who serves you coffee." is that right? But anyway, I liked that, then her watching the movie and having her cry and Rory coming in. I felt that touched on some of the old Gilmore of how those two are inseperable. I just hate the previews! They keep saying things that arn't even addressed in the episode!Bleh! Oh well. Will be watching again next tuesday :-)

hombre guapo said...

Thanks. Does Rory know about the whole Loreli and Christopher thing yet?

Jumping Jayhawk said...

Rory just found out about Christopher and Loreli in this episode. She went off on Loreli, about her putting Rory's relationship with Christopher in jeopardy by sleeping with him. She basically told her to grow up and act like a mature adult rather than running to do the first irrational thing that popped into her head. Later on she realizes how harsh she was and the show ends with Rory going to Loreli as she's crying on the couch.

hombre guapo said...

Episdoe 3???
Take your time, no worries.

Anonymous said...

I am thankful for the little things....
Dish Network does not have the WB
therefore I do not have to put up with tuesday night phone calls to one daughter & one future DIL rehashing the hour. Your future MIL has had some clear withdrawal issues, but the sci-fi network usually has a tuesday "theme" night. Last week it was giant killer snakes. This seemed to help her...sort of. How are classes going
in your distance learning at KU? FFIL

Bugsy said...

Oh oh! Episode 3 much better! I was very impressed and the wittiness seemed to be back on track. Haha, no luck father of mine, you guys have the CW, so you DO get Gilmore Girls, just need to inform the mommy!!

hombre guapo said...

B&B - do you want to tell me about Episode 3? haha since episdoe 4 is almost up.