Sunday, August 06, 2006

An Entertaining Weekend in Spokane

So, this week has been pretty crazy. Busy, lack of sleep, and clutter all around from not yet unpacking everything. I did finally get ahold of my landloards who have decided to get the carpet cleaned so that Raoul doesn't die of an allergy attack. Knowing that we'd be spending a lot of time on Sunday moving everything out of my living room and dining room into the garage, we decided to have a fun day in Spokane on Saturday.

One of my primary goals was to take a look at some window treatments so I could ditch the horrible drapes (that incidently are pretty much laden with cat hair) that are currently in my living room window and on the sliding glass door. I've never bought drapes before, but I knew I'd be investing some money. . .not that I wanted to spend much since I don't plan on staying in this duplex forever. Anyways, I digress. After stopping off at Sonic for lunch (yippee!) we headed to JC Penney's to check out there drapes. We found the perfect fabric to match my pillows, but because my window is gigantic, they would have to be custom made. The salesperson calls is sticker-shock, I call it highway robbery--$2,500 to dress my window and sliding glass door. I DO NOT think so. So blinds, she says, are a less expensive option. Again having to be custom made because of the size of the window--now I'm looking at $350 for the window alone. Again, I DO NOT think so. Determined to find a cheaper avenue, we headed to Target. And, I again found matching drapes (a difficult thing because of the deep red color of my pillows). This time each panel was only $40. A little more than I'd like, but much more do-able. Problem, the rod I have in place will not work with these drapes. Problem solved. . .I ditch the curtain rod I have along with the curtains and start from scratch. I found a cool curtain rod that matches the feel I want for the room. . .and then another problem. I'm going to need 4 panels to cover that window--$160 for drapes. But we can make this work for cheaper, right? So I buy two panels and the rod. Then it's off to Linen's and Things and World Market to buy sheers to go behind the curtains, leaving it open in the middle so I can have more light in the room anyways, and it will still look good. $20 x 4 panels for sheers? This window is getting very expensive! So I find these shears at World Market for $12 a panel which is definitely more manageable. Then, I remember that you can't put two different curtains on the same rod. But, by this time I am dead tired and sick of shopping for window treatments. I'll pick up a simple rod for the sheers at Wal-Mart this week.

After this exhausting experience, I've decided that I'm going to get vertical blinds for the screen door--a much cheaper $60 from Home Depot. I also need to get new blinds for my bedroom window because the ones I have now don't exactly shut all the way. Definitely a trip to Home Depot this week.

After abandoning window shopping, Raoul and I looked at flatware at Pottery Barn and then went to dinner at Olive Garden (yippee!) where I had a really good glass of Riesling--nice and smooth without too much bite to go well with dinner. Then Raoul and I took a little tram-ride to see Spokane falls. A pretty sight, but nothing compared to our trip to Multnomah falls this May. On our way to the tram we stumbled upon Spocannabis. Yes, that's right, a festival with a bunch of hippies trying to get marijuana legalized. Odd thing, though, the band that played was hardcore screaming stuff--not exactly hippy grooving tunes. I'm sure that Raoul will recreate this experience for you more vividly, so check out his blog. We also stumbled upon tropical snow in Spokane!!!! Yeah!!!! I miss Tad's a ton, and I don't know who runs this thing, but it's the same stuff----and it's awesome!!! Yummy sugary goodness.

So, an exciting and exhausting day. Sunday we pretty much took a 2 hour nap after church and then spent the afternoon emptying out my apartment. . .and getting rid of those dreadful curtains!!! They are now banished to the garage where they will stay for all eternity, or at least until I move out. We saw Taladaga Nights tonight. It's a really funny flick, definitely a recommended movie when you feel like watching something pointless and funny. It's a whole lot 'o redneck crammed into 2 hours of laughs. So, check it out, and tell me what you think. Also any advice on how to do this window shopping stuff without spending an entire paycheck?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I usually make our curtains and valances with fabric from JoAnns or Hobby Lobby. So if you have a sewing machine and time to design and sew together curtains, it can be cheaper for the odd-sized windows . . . and I think it's fun! You have a larger variety of color options, too.

former-Dunkie (I need to think of a shorter name!)

Roomba Mom said...

I can't believe we're doing this at the same time. We had intended to put wood blinds up, but priced them at Penneys and choked. There are sales, but we'll have to wait for them.

So we hit Super Wal-Mart out here! Managed to find some that actually match the walls for about $8 a panel. But we had to have 17 panels.

So I bought the 2 left at our WM. Then I drove 20 miles into town to the WM on Lewis and found two more. Both places told me that they were being discontinued, and could not be reordered. AAUGH!

Then they suggested the one at 91st and Memorial. Back in the car (in 102 degree heat) and off I go. They had 8!

So I'm only 3 short...but I'll just have to take my chances tomorrow. I just couldn't face driving to another corner of town at that point.

And the great curtain search goes on... Tune in tomorrow to see: will RoombaMom find her 3 remaining drapes (or maybe 1 or 2)? Will the car last through all these trips? Will gas prices continue to increase as she drives? Will her family commit her?

Love 'ya.

Anonymous said...

Talladega Nights was indeed funny. I missed half the jokes because the audience was laughing so hard. Fun times all around.

Anonymous said...

Future DIL;
Your FMIL can use a sewing machine
extremely well.
Has Raoul appreciated the fact that "The Deerslayer" is O.K.?

Roomba Mom said...

Great curtain search, Part II.

So I found the W/M in Sapulpa and drove out this a.m. They were out. A clerk looked the curtains up on her hand-held computer (what do you call those?), and said the Sand Springs store should have 5, the 91st/Memorial should have 7 and the 42/Memorial should have 13.

Well, I cleared the 91st street store out yesterday, so forget that. I drove back to SS W/M, to be told they don't have 5...they were probably stolen.

So into town to 42d/Memorial. And they had 9! Bought 6, filled up the car, went to B&R to celebrate with chocolate almond, and decided to head home via 71st. Did pretty well, until the Southwest Blvd/41st intersection, when I took the wrong one. Finally got turned around and headed in home.

So...$7 per panel on sale, 60 some miles with gas at $2.99/gallon...was this really worth it? Yeah, they look good. And neighbors can't see everything we're doing anymore.

:)

Raoul The Destroyer said...

Nice curtain haul, Mom. :)

Roomba Mom said...

Great curtain search, Part III.

We've decided to use this style in the dining room, also. So I need 6 more. :(

Back to the 42nd street Walmart this a.m. (a mere 35 mile roundtrip), and find the three I left there last week. Lucky, lucky, lucky!

Found a clerk and asked her if there were any more in the back. While she checked, I ransacked the shelves to make sure there weren't any stuck behind something. Just as I was ready to quit (the knees really took a beating on this one), I saw the fabric. Grabbed it, but it said "5 piece set". Opened it, and it was just one panel (like all my others). So, someone returned a $7 curtain in a $20 curtain set package. People can be really tacky sometimes. But it worked out for me!

The curtain gods are looking down and smiling today.

Bugsy said...

For the love of Pete mother, you HAVE a blog... USE IT!!! :-D