Thursday, July 13, 2006

I'm Engaged!

OK, so I know that most of you who read my blog already know this fact, but the unanswered question from most of you is "how did he do it?" So here goes. . .

My sister, her boyfriend, and I were driving back up to the KC area after a day in Hutchinson with my family. They were supposed to drop me off in Lawrence with Raoul who was helping Paco pack up his apartment. I called him once we got there and gave the phone to my sis for directions to his location. She said he wanted to meet us at the Union. . .and then proceeded to drive around in circles all over campus (passing the Union several times in the process) because she "hadn't seen campus in awhile". Definitely suspect. Then we ended up in front of the CC house and Paco showed up behind us in his car. He brought up a card for me and a packet for my sister. The card said that Raoul had set up a scavenger hunt for me. At each location, Paco would give me a card with a memory written on it from some special time that Raoul and I had shared at that place. My sister would also give me a question with the answer each time being the next location. I took this trip down memory lane and ended up at the Campanile. From there I walked down to the bench where 4 years ago Raoul and I agreed not to date for a year (do you all remember this? and remember how that promise lasted all of about 2 months?).

Raoul was down at the bench and said I needed to sit down because he had something special for me. He handed me a plastic bag and told me to open my eyes. Now for all of you who know him pretty well, you know that Raoul has a habit of giving people gifts in the bag that they came in from the store. So, this part of the proposal made me chuckle a bit. I looked in the bag and saw a Nintendo DS light with Tetris, the Brain game, and Nintendog (complete with a virtual pembroke welsh corgi). Definitely cool, but not exactly what I was expecting. Then he told me he had something else for me. He reached in his pocket and kind of went down on one knee to bring out. . . the Nintendo DS itself--since he and Poco, and others had been playing it for the last 2 days. He then told me that he knew I wanted something else but that he wasn't quite ready for it. . .and wanted to know if that was OK--to which I replied "well, not really, but I guess it will have to be". Then he said "good, because I'm ready now". Then he got down on one knee and pulled out a gorgeous white gold with a 1.5 carat diamond ring and asked me to marry him. And, of course I said yes! My sister and Poco were present to capture the whole thing on camera, so it was a very special time for us that we will always remember.

So, that's the whole story. No plans on a date yet, still trying to figure out a location first. Regardless of location, we will be planning a casual reception in Washington/Idaho and another back home for our friends in addition to the wedding, so hopefully we'll get to see everybody at some point. I'll keep everyone posted as things come together.

6 comments:

Raoul The Destroyer said...

Two things, honey:

1. It's PACO, not Poco.

2. I think it's actually 1.1 Carat, not 1.5. But I don't remember exactly. I do know for a fact that it is above 1 carat.

quijotefan83 said...

Nice. Raoul didn't want to spring for a campanile player too? :) Jejeje. That must have taken planning, cunning, and timing. All of which my brother has in spades. And also apparently luck ;) Congratulations to you both.

Anonymous said...

Cool. So are you looking at a 2009 wedding date? Gotta make sure!

Anonymous said...

BTW, in keeping with David's 1st Law of Reading Emotion Over the Internet, I'd like to point out that my post was in good humour, not meant as a snide remark. :-)

Arely said...

aww... that's such a great story...

Anonymous said...

How exciting!!! Congratulations!!! The mister and I are really happy for you two.

And he keeps screaming "blue!" If you don't know, Raoul can explain. :)