Monday, May 29, 2006

A weekend in Oregon!

Raoul and I spent the last three days in the Portland/Columbia River Basin area. It was soooo great to get away for a few days and see civilization again (LOL), and now I'm refreshed to return to work for the whole 2 1/2 days I'm working this week. Yippee for vacation time!!! As for this weekend, it definitely had its ups and downs. . .

It rained. . .and I mean rained! In fact there were only 2 hours of time where there was no rain the entire two days we were in Portland. Now, you say, "you went to the west coast, what did you expect?" So yes, you would be right. . .but the rain made it hard to make a statement regarding what I think about Portland as a city since we didn't get to do all the things we had planned. The first day it rained all day, so we took advantage of the time by doing one of my favorite past times. . .shopping! Poor Raoul! He was a great sport, though, even when I made him help me decide on which pair of pink pumas to buy (I'm pretty sure he really didn't care) :) We did get him a new suit for his sister's wedding, though; and I must say he looks pretty darn snazzy. After shopping for about 8 hours straight, we went to the Olive Garden for dinner and then to X-3 for a late night movie. A fun movie, not exactly following the comic book (what the heck, Cyclops dies?), but definitely entertaining.

Day two. . .the day with two hours of dry weather. We decided to tackle some of the sights since Raoul was definitely tired of shopping. First we went to the Portland Zoo, where we spent the entire two hours of dry weather. Then it was off to the Rose Gardens, Raoul's favorite. It was pretty spectacular, even in the rain. I haven't figured out how to upload pictures yet, so check out my facebook for the full weekend of pictures. We spent a little bit of time downtown doing yes, shopping, and then to Border's for awhile to get a guidebook for hiking next weekend. Boy do I miss Borders!!! That evening we ate at McCormick and Schmicks which had some fantastic food! Then it was back to the hotel to rest up for day three of the trip.

Day three. . .we left Portland early so we could stop for some neat sites on the way back home. First we stopped at Multnomah Falls, a double waterfall that was simply awesome! We walked up to a bridge that was at the top of the lower falls and then took a VERY steep 1 mile hike up to the top of the upper falls. The scenery was amazing, even though we were getting wet both from the rain and the waterfall. It was a great early morning workout! Then we went on further down the highway to Mount Hood. It is the only mountain in the northwest that you can ski on 365 days a year. It's 11,000 feet tall and a beautiful sight. We saw it from the North side but it was covered with clouds, so we drove to the South side and got a much better view. By the time we'd seen all of this, we were dead tired and headed back to Clarkston.

A whirlwind of a trip, but fun and saw some awesome sights. Again, check my facebook for more pictures until I figure out how to post them here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures! That waterfall is beautiful. I also checked out your Seattle trip pics which made me even more excited to move. Can't wait to see you guys.