Thursday, October 30, 2008

Election '08

So, election time is here, and I am eager for it to end. Not because of all the media, or that I'm sick of hearing the candidates talk, or that I'm tired of negative add campaigns. The reason that I can't wait for this election to end is because my co-workers are making this time very difficult. Now, to preface this whole blog post. . .I am not a liberal. In fact I think that it is dangerous for the government to control a lot of things. My personal beliefs on many moral issues "line up" with the Republican platform. However, I do believe in changes from the current presidency such as more government assistance for education and more emphasis on diplomacy with issues of foreign policy. After weighing out the pros and cons of both candidates and attempting to disregard accusations that are mean-spirited and untrue, I will for the first time be voting for the democratic candidate for president. As an American citizen (and a tax-paying one at that) I have the right to my own opinions and beliefs and can choose to vote as I wish. Because I am thankful for that right, I try to respect the rights of others to disagree with me.

The last week, the exact opposite has been happening at my workplace. I work with 6 other male physical therapists. All of them are very right-wing in their political views and have been very vocal in that respect. This has played out in the following ways. First, one co-worker has proceeded to vocally attack another of my co-workers for holding a different political view, using such examples as Obama is like Hitler. Then, today, knowing my opinions, two of them proceeded to talk around me (not directly addressing me) saying that anyone who votes for Obama must be insane, brainwashed or stupid. Not exactly flattering comments to be making around someone who works her ass off for their company, sacrificing a lot to pad their retirement accounts. They used such arguments as Obama is more Muslim than he is black. These guys also love to bring out "evidence" such as e-mails sent from friends or reports taken from biased sources to show how right they are. I disagree with their opinions and their choice of sources, but because I believe they have a right to that opinion so I have not tried to convince them otherwise. They have not extended the same courtesy to me, stating things like: How can you as a Christian vote for someone who is pro-abortion? Again, I know it's not worth arguing with them, and I don't even want to get into a discussion about how they have no right to judge my level of faith. It is sad to me, not that they are McCain supporters, but that they stoop to such untrue and unintelligent ways to promote their view.

So, that leaves me, a little Independent voter who happens to have made her choice. I do not ask that everyone agree with me, only that they respect me as a person and my right to my own thoughts and convictions. I encourage everyone to exercise their right as a U.S. citizen on Nov. 4, and please, respect all others as they exercise their right to do so as well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

From one "little" independent voter to another: Thought you'd be interested in checking out this website out: www.independentvoting.org. Part of what many independents have come to believe is that it's the culture of politics that need to be reorganized. Partisan labelling is what has gotten us into trouble in the first place.

Gwen