Saturday, August 04, 2007

A Sad Day for the Schraeder Family. . .

Just as Raoul and I were about to embark to two straight weekends of fun plans with family and friends (my sister's wedding and a weekend in Missoula with friends), we got a sad phone call early this morning. My grandpa had surgery last week to repair some valve problems in his heart. His recovery had been going well, and they were working on weaning him off of the ventilator. Last night and early this morning, they found a serious infection and attempted to fight it with anti-biotics. Because of his delicate condition after surgery, his body was unable to fight off the infection and he passed away early this morning. This was a sudden, unexpected turn of events as he had been doing better the last couple of days, so my family is taking it pretty hard. My sister's wedding is still on schedule for Saturday, and the funeral is scheduled for Wednesday. I was able to take off Wednesday and Thursday to be back with my family, but there hasn't been much time to get things in order with trying to distribute my patient load among my co-workers and finding a last minute flight that would keep me from missing as much work as possible. Raoul and I are planning on leaving late on Tuesday night, arriving in Wichita aroun 9:00 AM on Wednesday. Please pray for my family, especially my sister who is trying to hold things together for the wedding as well as grieving for my grandpa. I'll try to post an update when we return.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so sorry! Please, if there is anyway I can help, let me know!!!!! We'll be praying for you like crazy!!!