Thursday, August 30, 2007

Mayhem in Hutchinson. . .

So, I get this cryptic phone call from my mom late on Tuesday night, telling me to call her the next day, and sounding like something wasn't exactly right. Considering the events of the past month, it kind of freaked me out, but nothing prepared me for what she had to say.

Most of you still living in Kansas probably have heard about the Dillons hostage situation that happened on Tuesday. If you haven't, here's a quick synopsis: 30th St. Dillons gets a phone call from a guy who gives details about the interior of the store, indicating that he is either inside or able to see from the outside what is going on in the store. He says he has a bomb placed in the store and instructs everyone to hit the floor and comply with his request to have $1 million sent to a bank account in Europe, or he'll detonate the bomb. He also stated he would personally cut off the fingers of the store manager if they did not respond. Weird situation in itself, but the sad thing was my poor grandma had decided to go to Dillons to pick something up at that exact time. After everything that's happened this month with my grandpa passing away, this is not exactly what she needed to go through. She made it out OK and eventually connected with my frantic parents and aunt, so everything ended up OK, weird and bizzar but OK. They haven't caught the guy yet last I heard, but they were able to catch some local moron who decided that it would be funny to call in "prank" bomb threats to all the other Dillons stores and the Super Walmart the next day. I guess it goes to show you never know what's going to happen back home. At least things weren't actually exploding this time. . .

So, Raoul and I are off to Seattle for Labor Day weekend tomorrow after work. He's meeting with Matt for some guy time (which I think involves Metroid and movies I would never go with him to see) while I meet up with Trina, Katie, and Megan for a fun weekend in the city. I love Seattle!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry your grandma was involved!!! I heard that there was a guy in the Tues. situation and went to another Dillons the next day to avoid that one, and got caught in another episode!!